I am blessed with a very special friend who most generously invites me to exquisite restaurants and special cultural events. Last night she had picked Poetry & Medicine at Kingsplace where I had not yet been.
Four poets and a ‘moderator of conversation’ made me realise:
- the mind will pause when it absorbs poetry rather than prose;
- Only Connect the Prose with the Passion and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no more. This quote by E.M.Forster from Howards End became the title of the book I wrote in the eighties about networking: ONLY CONNECT;
- poetry is healing, as its beauty transcends the ‘ordinariness’ and speed of prose;
- its beauty comes from the specialness of a narrative, from paying particularly focussed attention, like in prayer;
- the wonders of words, the rhymes and rhythms, the evocation of images and, ultimately, touching a chord inside – that’s poetry for me.
It’s this touching that made me have tears in my eyes and shivers down my back last night. It’s the re-membering of feelings and moments that is healing – especially relating to the pain of losing loved ones. It reminded me of the most remarkable poems my mum had collected for her children – for they had given her strength in difficult times – beautifully handwritten, in a special book.
The video “Dying to Be Me” is a most remarkable account of the fact that we are spirits having human experiences. And we said YES to our life before we were born, according to this remarkable poem in German by Hermann Hesse.
The dinner in a restaurant where only waiters serve who speak at least five languages, topped the evening of re-connecting with a most dear and special friend.
John Burnside who had worked in IT for 10 years, spoke about ‘authorised knowledge’ which made me appreciate why I know what I know, once again, from yet another angle! Next, I shall dig into my ‘poetic prose’ and upload it to The 3d Metric Universe. What results of a glorious evening!
- An Introduction to Introduction to Poetry (onewdesign.wordpress.com)
- Bone deep poetry…… (therapeuticjournal.wordpress.com)
- Martín Espada on the Power Behind Poetry (joshuakeiter.com)
- Latin inspired the standard for all poetry (telegraph.co.uk)
- Saved By A Poem (journeyingbeyondbreastcancer.com)
- The Dance of Words (teenchange.wordpress.com)
- Sustainable Poetry (ellipticalmovements.wordpress.com)